Monday, September 23, 2013

Meet the Family ~ Nick

Nick is my youngest son and has just recently turned 14. His entry into the world was, like Terry's, fast and confusing. Having been induced, the labour moved very quickly and I found that even though the midwife didn't at all doubt the baby was coming, she was pretty sure that he was hours away. 

As the midwife performed an examination she quickly moved into a heightened state of panic...screaming at my husband to hit the emergency call button on the wall. With the lack of emergency staff showing and increasing pain in my belly it became apparent that  my husband, Mick, had inadvertently pressed the button NEXT to the emergency call button and reactivated the drip. (I had horrible visions of not just the baby and placenta exiting my body but all my internal organs as well!) But that fear did not come to fruition and very soon I was gazing at my beautiful new boy....a bonza baby at 8lb 4 ounces (3.742 Kgs) with a mass of beautiful black hair. 




Approximately 8 years on Nick was diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Developmental Language Disorder and OCD. Nick has Anisometropic Amblylopia and is in the process of receiving an official diagnosis of Non 24 hour sleep/wake syndrome which is also known as:

~ Hypernychthemeral disorder
~ Circadean Rhythm sleep disorder - free running type
~  Circadean Rhythm Disorder - non entrained type
~ Non-24-hr Circadean Rhythm Disorder

Nick has spent time in Traditional Schooling, Homeschooling and at present is in Year 8 in Distance Education. 

As a person Nick is honest, loyal, affectionate and has a real commitment to his passions. He has excellent computer and photography skills and has opened my eyes to view the world in some very unique ways. I love and treasure this precious boy each and every day.




Sharing birthing experiences can evoke many different emotions...some very joyous...others can be full of sorrow. If you have an experience to share I would feel privileged to listen. 



Check my Links:

Developmental Language Disorder - NYT - Article on Language Disorder in Children

Autistic Spectrum Disorder - MyDr - Autistic Spectrums Disorder

OCD - Beyond Blue - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Non 24 Hr Sleep/Wake Syndrome - Wikipedia - Non 24 hour sleep/wake syndrome

Anisometropic Ambylopia - eyewiki _ Anisometropic Amblyopia





2 comments:

  1. My 4th birth went very similarly - the midwife saying we had hours to go, next minute baby was out and cranky! It sounds like you've had quite the journey with your son, I have OCD myself and it's certainly challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear of someone else with a similar birthing experience :) I found it pretty scary and very painful as I'd been induced.
    Challenging would be a very apt word to describe OCD Emma. ALL of us have it and it will be touched upon quite often in my posts.

    ReplyDelete