Monday, September 30, 2013

And so the Journey Begins ~

In December of 1962 I made my entry into the world. I was born to the most wonderful parents, and was welcomed also by a brother and two sisters. As the last of the tribe I was well positioned to grow up experiencing the benefits and pitfalls of Youngest Child Syndrome. 

Our family lived in a small country town, in a fibro house on a 1/4 acre block. As a child our yard seemed gigantic and we were often kept entertained climbing the wood heap, pinching munchable veggies out of the garden, performing acrobatics on our swing set, avoiding mums "attack" rooster and enjoying the antics of both our dog and cat. Sundays were my favourite day of the week...we usually went to morning Church, followed by a baked dinner , a game of cricket after lunch and monopoly after Church and tea at night.


My childhood besties were my next door neighbour Lizzy (we are birthdate twins), and Lizzie's next door neighbour Kate. We rode bikes together, explored the bush, swam at the pool, went to school together and had countless hours of fun and friendship. For me the most memorable game we played together was on the footpaths outside our homes in the late of the afternoon. The three of us became "The Secret Seven"; (based on the Book of the same name by Enid Blyton). (Although as Lizzy and I reflect back together, she fondly suggests that we really were "The Secret Three"). For a couple of hours on many afternoons, our worlds were transformed into one of mystery and intrigue as we set about inventing plots, following clues and solving crimes.

Teenage years and the ascent into High School brought changes and challenges that were significantly different to those of my Primary School Years. Besties were placed in different classes and made new friendships; new kids from other schools became part of our lives as did new routines and teachers. It seemed that I still had my two besties, plenty of Classmates but no new friendships as others seemed to be developing. The "Social Curriculum" was the most exclusive of all, focusing on conversation topics and activities that were very difficult for me to be part of. I had a strong Christian upbringing and made a commitment to that faith myself which meant many conversations topics and activities were just not considered appropriate. I believe I also had a very strong and separate innate sense of moral and social justice. This in itself really did influence how I spoke, thought and acted. It also had a deep impact on how I perceived and judged others. So, in a sense, I rendered myself a social outcast among so many of my peers.

A few years after entering High School I did finally make a new best friend ....our common bond was that of the love of music...and we were both pianists. Jenny also seemed to have a strong sense of social justice and did not seem to fit the "popular" Social Curriculum at the time. This rendered her almost as disadvantaged as me with becoming part of the social set of our peers. My friend also had a very strong faith as a practicing Catholic. The two of us regularly took turns attending church services together at our respective places of Worship. Two years after we met, Jenny's father was transferred 1000 kilometers away and my beloved friend was gone from my side. Our friendship remained however for many years to come.

It was 1980 and I was moving towards the end of my final year in High School. I had completed the HSC Examinations knowing full well that I would not matriculate to any University and would be lucky to even come close to passing the Exams. I had thoughts of becoming a Psychologist but knew that even if I had matriculated my parents would not have been able to finance me attending University. I decided to sit for the Bank of NSW entrance examination and within two weeks was experiencing my first day at work with a Branch in Sydney...800kms away from home and 13 days away from my 18th Birthday.

There ends my childhood and the eve of my adulthood begins.....






Have you some great memories from childhood? I'd love to hear them shared! Take some time to tell us about them in the comments section below.





2 comments: